Sunday, March 31, 2013

Share

Read this blog of a friend of mine who lost his mother for cancer and his father committed a suicide. I am amazed by his positivists and energy and he is impacting all the people around him.

I want to share something he wrote. I am truly inspired.

"Nelson Mandela once said, "Resentment is like drinking poison and then hoping it will kill your enemies."  Holding grudges evokes a steep, dreadful cost and that cost is wasted life.  Holding grudges, believing as true our own dark, subjective, and carefully edited narratives of past and present events, is itself, a cancer, fed from the inside out by a consuming anger and hatred not just of others, but oftentimes of ourselves.  How do we want our lives to be remembered?  Hanging on to a misunderstanding in order to "be right"?  Engaged in silent treatments?  Partaking in petty gossip?  Going to the grave squabbling over a few dollars?  

No, not me.  I prefer morning walks down along the river.  Making a good loaf of banana bread.  Reading a good book.  The look on a student's face when they understand a topic in lecture.  And now there is a dogwood tree to be planted.  I want my life to be founded on choosing and receiving forgiveness, a "constant attitude" per Martin Luther King Jr.  I want it to be a forward-moving, far-reaching trajectory of peace and spirituality in accordance with my values, that moves humanity forward.  And even though I will stumble, toil, and struggle along the way in the constant work synonymous with any relationship, isn't that why they call it unconditional love?   "

No comments: